For my guerrilla marketing project, I decided to do something crafty to market my blog. I needed something eye-catching and what is more eye-catching than large flowers? Especially when they’re in places you wouldn’t normally see. So, I decided to put my new Cricut flower cartridge to use. It is called Flower Shoppe. This cartridge has been beyond helpful but it has really eaten up my paper supply. Plus, each flower seriously takes an hour to construct. That’s why I couldn’t make an abundance of them. Anyway, I showed them to a few friends and was asked how I made the designs on the outer layer of my flowers. I’ll try to explain my process here.
I used an embossing folder to create the design. For the purple and green flower, I used Ornate Flourish by The Paper Studio. Because of the color scheme, I decided to use Ranger’s Dusty Concord distress ink on the green petals. First, I inked up my embossing folder with the Dusty Concord on the side with the raised edges. Next, I took each petal, put it in the folder and ran it through my Provo Craft Cuttlebug machine. The function of the Cuttlebug is pretty similar to a printmaking press machine. Then I just took them out and voilà, my petals now have a pretty, purple embossed design on them! The last thing I did for some of the flowers was accentuate the ends by using a cosmetic wedge, inking it up with the corresponding ink pad, and just slightly “wiping” or “smudging” the edges.
Here is a video of exactly what I did and where I got the idea from:
Obviously, each flower took a lot of work, and I also had to make the stems and leaves. That took forever, too. Nevertheless, I really liked the end result.
Thanks for reading!